1. The fire must have _______ after the shop was closed.
A. broken out B. broken down
C. broken in D. broken through
2. He is_______ join the army.
A. too young to B. enough young to
C. very young to D. young enough to
3. Finally he got time for a glance _______ this report.
A. off B. round
C. on D. at
4. Your idea seems to be good but it isn’t _______.
A. practical B. possible
C. plentiful D. precious
5. He enjoys _______ pop music while I prefer classical music.
A. to listen to B. to listen
C. listening D. listening to
6. When the little girl awoke, she found herself _______ by a group of soldiers.
A. surround B. be surrounded
C. being surrounded D. being surrounding
7. The manager lost his _______ just because his secretary was ten minutes late.
A. mood B. temper
C. mind D. passion
8. There are several characteristics of the textbook _______ attention.
A. worthwhile B. worth of
C. worthy D. worthy of
9. The new building _______ all the other buildings in the town.
A. dwarfs B. distorts
C. deserts D. depresses
10. I passed the test. I _______ it without your help.
A. would not pass
B. wouldn’t have passed
C. didn’t pass
D. had not passed
11.The Internet has brought _______ big changes in the way we work.
A. about B. out
C. back D. up
12. The father writes in his will that every son and daughter _______ a share of his property.
A. has B. to have
C. having D. have
13. He hurried to the hospital, only _______his father had just died.
A. to tell B. to be told
C. telling D. told
14. _______ tomorrow, he would be able to see the opening ceremony.
A. Would he come
B. If he comes
C. Was he coming
D. Were he to come
15. The speaker could hardly find safe ground _______ his arguments.
A. on which to base B. to base on
C. on the base D. which to base on
16. He is a man who is always _______ fault with other people.
A. putting B. seeking
C. finding D. looking for
17. The factory had to _______ a number of employees because of the economic crisis in the country.
A. lay out B. lay off
C. lay aside D. lay down
18. Would you spare some time to have a chat with me _______ a cup of coffee?
A. for B. with
C. during D. over
19. Ten days ago the young man _______ his boss _______ his intention to resign.
A. informed … of B. informed … on
C. informed … in D. informed … to
20. It is necessary that he _______ the task by the end of next week.
A. fulfill B. will fulfill
C. will have fulfilled D. fulfills